you're reading...
Leadership Issues, Teaching and Learning, Uncategorized

The @teacherhead planning tool. Draft

I’m trying to design something that might be helpful for teachers planning lessons.  I have drafted two tools, one a structured reflection sheet for thinking through what is needed for a detailed unit of work; the other a very simple short-hand version for scoping out a series of lessons.

In both cases, the idea is to plan a series of lessons, not just one at a time.  The idea is that knowledge content will be referenced here but specified in detail in separate sources – because it’s too inefficient to reproduce the knowledge content again and again.

Also, these planning tools do not attend to specific student needs.  Again, I feel that, over time, teachers will know their classes and will make annotations for individuals as needed in any case; they don’t need a special box.

The Planning Tool:

Screen Shot 2018-12-30 at 09.50.41

Annotated version.

Here is a pdf version: The Planning Tool Notes

Here is a blank editable Word version: The Planning Tool

Screen Shot 2018-12-30 at 10.09.50.png

Blank Version

I imagine this is could be typed into/edited when writing shared schemes of work especially for a topic a teacher has not taught before.

Here is a blank pdf of the Planning Tool: The Planning Tool

I would use this to sketch on in pen, jotting down ideas and just using it as a checklist for my thinking.

The Quick Version

Screen Shot 2018-12-30 at 09.42.34.png

Quick Version – formatted for six, four, three, lessons…

As a teacher, I was always making these sort of grids – mapping out a series of lessons that cover the same knowledge content.  A broad scope might be 12 lessons over four weeks – or it might be more use to focus on the three lessons for the week ahead, in more detail.

The editable word version is here: The Planning Tool Quick Version.  You can format it to make the pattern of lessons you need more obvious as I have illustrated.

A pdf version is here: The Planning Tool Quick Version

In this quick version, I am mentally attending to the prompts in the detailed planning tool but I’m not investing time in writing it all out.  For my own planning purposes, I would be looking to scope out the flow of ideas, the key resources or sources of information, the key question sets and the students’ practice or practical tasks.  Implicitly, this is always referencing detailed documents elsewhere – textbooks, worksheets, student guides – anything where the exact knowledge content can be referenced and checked by the students themselves.

Let me know what you think in the comments below.  If you actually use them, let me know.

Discussion

13 thoughts on “The @teacherhead planning tool. Draft

1. Tom as ever great stuff from you.

BW for 2019

John

Liked by 1 person

Posted by John dAbbro | December 30, 2018, 10:55 am
  2. Thank you

Liked by 1 person

Posted by Vickie Middleton | December 30, 2018, 12:39 pm
  3. Hi Tom,

They look interesting. I am at a school in Guatemala that could use this. I will try it with my staff and let you know how it goes!

Thanks for this.

Happy New Year

Pete

Peter Embleton
    Principal
    High School
    Village School of Guatemala
    peter.embleton@village.edu.gt

Liked by 1 person

Posted by Peter Embleton | December 30, 2018, 2:35 pm
  4. Great

Liked by 1 person

Posted by Gillian | December 30, 2018, 10:17 pm
  5. I’m going to try and use this for our staff as we begin to redevelop our primary curriculum planning for history and geography.
    I’ll let you know our thoughts on it.
    Thanks, as always, for your blog.
    R

Posted by Robbie Russell | December 31, 2018, 9:24 am
  6. We’re also renewing/reviewing/revitalising our history, geography and RE curriculum planning across the school. I’ll share this with staff tomorrow. Thank you.

Liked by 1 person

Posted by sarahbeveridge3175 | January 6, 2019, 4:55 pm
  7. Probably a dumb question but what does CFU stand for?

Posted by Paul Lindsay-Addy | August 28, 2019, 8:15 am

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pingback: Bit by Bit, Putting It Together |Education & Teacher Conferences - December 30, 2018

2. Pingback: Why teachers cannot recall their working hours - Teacher Tapp : Ask · Answer · Learn - January 14, 2019