I’m pleased to say that teacherhead-consulting is now up and running. If you are interested in the kind of support I can provide, here is a run down of some of the work I’ve done in the last two months.
If you would like to contact me to discuss possible work, please use the contact form on the teacherhead-consulting link.
Devising Effective CPD Programmes:
- A one-day consultancy to support an academy principal draft a document outlining the features and rationale for an exciting new built-in CPD programme.
- A long-term project with Oldham College to devise and implement a college-wide CPD programme over next 18 months working with staff and key members of the leadership team.
Curriculum Planning and Progress 8.
- Supporting a new MAT to explore their approach to data gathering across their schools and linking this to the curriculum structure to maximise student outcomes.
- A two-day process working with a science department, observing lessons, holding one-to-one discussions with all staff members and writing an action plan, largely around assessment and curriculum planning.
(Science is my specialist area and I’m getting more requests to support science departments. However, I can apply the same process for any curriculum area.)
Self-Evaluation and Strategic Planning
- Working with a large academy in London and a four-form entry primary in Essex to support the drafting of their self-evaluation document and strategic planning documents.
Implementing a National Baccalaureate programme.
- Supporting school leaders in two different contexts to think through their current provision and the developments needed to devise and/or fully implement a programme compatible with the National Baccalaureate for England framework.
CPD and Keynotes:
Contemporary Curriculum Thinking:
- A three-hour conference session with the Somerset Association of Headteachers (SASH) spanning ideas about knowledge-led curriculum thinking, assessment, implications for new GCSEs and an overview of the National Baccalaureate.
“We asked Tom to challenge us on the theme of contemporary curriculum thinking. He more than met the brief giving us a tour de force of the latest thinking on the curriculum, assessment and learning all underpinned by a thorough evidence base. Tom was engaging, challenging and thought provoking. Highly recommended.”
Stretch and Challenge CPD.
- A two-part CPD session with ~ 70 staff at a South London academy including visitors from partner schools. The first session covered three areas; attitudes, routine practice and occasional activities for stretching students. The second session in June will include a report-back on the progress teachers made.
Knowledge, Skills and Mastery.
- A one-day consultancy and twilight CPD session at a midlands academy focusing on sequencing knowledge and skills, teaching for long-term recall as a foundation for deeper understanding – and my Mode A: Mode B approach to teaching. This included sessions with middle leaders as well as the whole staff.
Contemporary ideas from Research.
- Keynote conference inputs summarising key ideas from research and recent literature that teachers can apply directly to their practice.
Please contact me here if you want to explore consultancy and CPD options.