you're reading...
Leadership Issues, Uncategorized

40 Curriculum Models 2017:

Screen Shot 2017-03-26 at 19.39.59

Three of the 40 models.

With enormous thanks to everyone who has contributed, the spreadsheet below now shows the curriculum models for 40 different schools. I’m going to stop there.

The collection includes the models for grammar schools, comprehensives, middle schools and international schools.  No two are the same. There’s a mixture of 25, 30, 50 and 60 period cycles.

There are some definite trends:

A tendency towards having three option blocks – previously most schools would have had four.  This reflects the need to teach each option subject in more time given the greater demands of each course.

There is a lot of time given to English, Maths and Science – although the exact amount of time varies quite a lot.

The three-year GCSE programme is also on the rise compared to my last collection in 2014.

More analysis to follow in due course. Thanks again to everyone who found the time to add their model.  Hopefully this will serve as a resource for curriculum and timetable planners still wrestling with their model.

UPDATE November 2017: Analysis by Tim Mullen-Furness

I’m hugely grateful to Tim for undertaking the huge task of analysing the data in the 40 models.  It’s complicated because there are so many variables.  In the spreadsheet linked below you can see the averages and type in the number of the model to compare each one with the averages and medians.  Amazing stuff!

Some headlines:

Summary of Averages
% Overall % at KS4.
English 9.62% 15.86%
Maths 9.36% 15.62%
Science 10.27% 19.11%
MFL 6.71% 10.27%

Discussion

14 thoughts on “40 Curriculum Models 2017:

1. Will apply mine. Moving next year to a three year KS4 model so any advice from those who have made the shift would be appreciated!

Posted by Steve Byrne Music | March 2, 2017, 1:03 pm
  2. David Didau was telling me the other night that Christine Counsell at the Inspiration Trust was going for a four year KS3 (I think). That might be an intersting outlier.

Posted by dodiscimus | March 3, 2017, 9:40 pm
  3. Pretty standard plan I think but loving the sharing by others, helps for future planning

Posted by David Warden | March 5, 2017, 9:03 pm
  4. Your image really caught my attention. But after I read the blog I still wasn’t sure what I was looking at. Maybe since I am American I am used to something else? Out of curiosity, could you tell me how it works?

Posted by beckett haight | March 14, 2017, 10:23 am
  5. Having just moved to an international school in Spain and picked up timetabling, I thought I’d share mine. It’s interesting to see how the English ebacc hasn’t had an impact…

Liked by 1 person

Posted by Ivan Langton | March 24, 2017, 10:09 pm
  6. Hi Tom. This is brilliant! You mention further analysis to follow…when might that be? Thanks

Posted by Emma McCrea | April 6, 2017, 1:33 pm
  7. St Richard’s Catholic College curriculum models 2016-2017 and 2017-2018.

Posted by Luciana Frangella-Cramp | June 21, 2017, 1:35 pm

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pingback: 6 things to get right in every school. | teacherhead - June 6, 2017

2. Pingback: Planning a KS3-4 Curriculum Model: Walking through the thought-process. | teacherhead - November 14, 2017